The proper and proven method in the maintenance of your prosthesis is very simple. These are facts that must be considered.
- All tissue bearing surfaces of the prosthesis are subject to plaque buildup (protein).
- The body treats the prosthesis as an alien and will excrete fluids (tears) to coat it for protection.
- This fluid ,gels and becomes a protective coating against the surrounding tissues (conjunctiva).
- Over time(normally 3 months) the proteins in the fluids will deposit on the tissue bearing surfaces and will act as fine rough grit that will cause irritations and excessive excreta.
- DO NOT remove the prosthesis daily , you will remove the coating and the orbital area in which the eye rests against the mucous tissue will begin excreting to coat this alien (prosthesis).
- It takes 72 hours for the tears to gel on the prosthesis to protect itself. This causes unnecessary excreta.
- The outer part (exposed ) is the area that is subject to atmospheric debris and the area that must be irrigated daily with a saline solution or just plain water.
- Once the prosthesis is coated with this mucous gel , it will rise slightly off the tissues and this is when you get your greatest comfort.
- When you wipe dry your eye socket area during your daily hygiene, always wipe inwardly toward the nose, this prevents pulling on the lower lid.
- This technique can be used as many times as necessary, while not disturbing the inner ocular tissues.
- Removing the prosthesis daily , will put the orbital tissues in a state of flux and will cause excessive excreta.
- When a prosthesis meets these 3 requirements (comfort-cosmetics-motility) in that order you should not have to remove your prosthesis no more than once a month for preventative maintenance.
- At that time the prosthesis can be washed with soap in gently rubbed in a soft washcloth, rinsed and reinserted.
- A badly fitted or poorly finished prosthesis will always give you discomfort and excessive excreta.
- My recommendation is to have your prosthesis serviced (cleaned & polished) by a competent ocularist at least twice a year, and replaced every 3 to 5 years to preserve the health and integrity of the ocular orbit.
If you have an artificial eye, please take the time to read this message…
Because it’s the home of world-reowned master ocular prosthetist…Raymond E. Peters.
Raymond e. Peters has 50+ years of experience and is the foremost authority in his field…specializing in custom ocular prosthetics /scleral lens / and maxillo facial prosthetics. Raymond E. Peters is the one of the few original ‘masters’ that is still practicing.
Did you know your artificial eye needs cleaning and polishing every 6 months and a replacement every 3 years?
For our new patients, raymond e. Peters will discuss your needs and provide you with a free consultation and cleaning on your initial visit.
We have several convenient locations and opening up in the fort lauderdale / miami area soon.
Raymond E. Peters is dedicated to his patients and will be there for you providing passionate care and service.
Your needs are special and he is the unique professional who will guide and support you.
Call us toll free at 888-770-6049 or email us email@example.com